A beautifully decorated garden is the best feature of any house or property. A beautiful house with a well decorated garden is not only visually appealing, but it will increase the value of the property itself. Gardening itself is a hobby for a large number of people, but not everyone is not lucky enough to have a large, aesthetically appealing garden at their premises. Or, else, it can say, a house with a large, well established garden is the luxury that not everyone can afford.
But, the good news is that, you don’t need to have a huge plot to establish an exquisite garden and you can use any of the available plots, whether it’s the front yard or the backyard or maybe the postage stamp-sized plot beside the garage. It’s actually not the size of the plot that matters, instead your ideas and dedication which counts the most.
How to design a small garden
Designing a small garden is more challenging than designing a huge one, where you have the liberty to do or place things on your own. But, in a small garden, things are pretty difficult. Here, you can’t just put all the plants of your choices and make the area a complete mess.
The key secret of designing a small garden is less. Less is actually better and more. The more compact and organized the design is, the more fascinating the garden is. Everything in it actually counts, there is not a single spot to acquire whimsically. So, if you wish to design a small garden, the first step should be to make a full proof plan for your upcoming project.
- It’s not the plants or the leaves or not even the flowers that make your garden beautiful, it’s all about planning. Small gardens are really tricky to decorate. With huge spaces, hiding things or diverting the focus onto other things is easier, but with tiny places, your scope is limited. A single unpleasant feature, or even a wrong plant can spoil the whole entity of the garden. So, the plan has to be perfect that well suited to the existing property.
- Walk around the area to have a clear concept regarding the place you are going to work in. Look for the inspiration around, after determining the spot. Visiting nearby professional gardens can work as a great source of inspiration for your garden. Or, else, different magazines, websites are also there to help you out.
- Though the area is small, but it demands more attention and effort while you want to turn it into a beautiful piece of art. Do a lot of research, each and every part of the garden should be pre planned. From a single plant that you want to have in the garden, to the each landscaping material, everything should be in count.
- Prepare a rough sketch of the pre decided place. It does not matter, how small your garden is, a sketch will help you to visualise the place in total. Keep changing your drawings, until you find the right kind of design.
- It’s not the plants that actually beautify garden, but the shape of the garden, which plays the main rule secretly behind. Plants can be the icing on the cake, but not the cake itself. It’s the shape of the garden, which is the main ingredient of an eye catching, exquisite garden. Plants simply fill the spaces.
- Buy drafting papers, tracing papers, colors, etc., it’s the time to scale down your design. As you have finalised the design, scaling down will help you to get the exact measurement of the garden. Use color pencils to define various elements of the garden, for example, the various layers of the trees, landscaping elements, shrubs, grass, etc.
- Just as you would love to play with the colors, as you headed before painting a house, do the same while designing a landscape. To give the right amount of emphasis, use the warm colors and cool colors wisely. Warm colors like red, yellow, orange, etc. are more vibrating and create the illusion of remaining nearer than actually they are; on the other hand, the cool colors like blue, purple, etc. are less eye catching and seem further away than their real places. As a reason, the cool colors are perfect for a garden adjacent to the house.
- After finalising the design of your garden, the next step should be the selection of the plants. As I mentioned earlier, a single mistake can rip off the totality of the garden. Moreover, plants are not the showpieces that you placed on their respective places and the work is done. They need regular maintenance, as a reason, while selecting the plants, comparing your lifestyle with the plant’s needs is equally important. Do you have enough time to dedicate on the tomatoes or the herbs, if not, please pick the low maintenance plants for your garden.
- Want to give your garden a contrasting look? A wide array of collectios is available in paving materials, building materials, types flowers and leaves, etc. to add vibrating features to your small garden. Pick the ones of your choices and needs.
Paint the indoor and outdoor walls, fences of the garden with the lighter shades to create a light and free feeling. It will no longer feel claustrophobic. Vertical space is another important feature of a small garden, employ the spaces using shelves, hanging pots, etc. Container gardening is really appreciated for a small place, you can try it too for your little heaven.